Friday, March 11, 2005

Seanchaí Dave Allen dies

One of the great seanchaís of Irish comedy, Dave Allen, has died. Much disapproved of by Irish mothers (due to his occasional foul language) and the catholic church (due to his satirical take on that auspicious body), I still remember one of my early encounters with his humour, when he had me in stitches discussing TV adverts for a toilet cleaner, that "kills 99% of all known germs.... dead." Kills them dead says Allen, "...what about the other 1%" and he goes on to relate in hilarious fashion, with bulging eyes and funny faces, the notion of a superbug feeding and thriving on the chemicals from the cleaner.

What made his style so effective was that it was so true to life. He'll be sadly missed.

No comments: