Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Kim Cameron's astonishment

Kim Cameron was more than a bit surprised, following an interview with John Fontana of Network World, to read the subsequent article describing him as an identity god and credited with being one of teh 50 most powerful people in networking.

"I’ve really appreciated the interest and support of our writer colleagues - people who know how to find the story in our reality, and then, to tell it. When John Fontana called me about doing a profile, I thought it would be a way to move our identity project forward. In fact, it’s a long time since I’d done anything quite so personal - but knowing what a straight-shooter John is, I went with the flow.

Even so, I hope people can imagine my complete astonishment when, the day after Christmas, I read the following:
Kim Cameron: Identity’s god

Chief architect of access at Microsoft has galvanized an industry behind his ‘Seven Laws of Identity.’...
Well, the cat’s out of the bag. Now everyone knows I’m not 39.

But let me reassure everyone I that I don’t really think of myself as an identity god. If I were, we’d have an identity layer for the internet by now...

Still, this identity thing is hard, and has taken a long time. Nor is it over yet. There are still a lot of things that can go wrong. It can’t be done by any one person, or any one vendor, or any one government or country. But I really think that with all our Identity 2.0 friends we can get to our destination.

Finally, thanks to John Fontana and his editors for this wonderful honor.

Update: Kim got the Networked MVP award from Dave Kearns just before Christmas too.

No comments: