Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Junk phone calls counter script

This is excellent:

"Telemarketers make use of a telescript - a guideline for a telephone conversation. This script creates an imbalance in the conversation between the marketer and the consumer. It is this imbalance, most of all, that makes telemarketing successful. The EGBG Counterscript attempts to redress that balance."

I have a lot of sympathy for many of the folks who work in telemarketing call centres. I still get bothered and irritated by these kinds of calls even though my number is supposed to be on the do-not-call list but my approach is to politely say I'm not interested and hang up. With the persistent types, if I'm feeling patient, I'll say that I know they're just doing a job but they're probably on commission and their time will genuinely be better invested talking to someone else. With the persistent, pushy obnoxious types I don't tend to waste time with them at all and hang up but this script would be a nice response if you have two minutes and your dinner has been interrupted anyway.

No comments: