Monday, December 19, 2005

UK MEPs for and against data retention

Spy Blog has the lowdown on which UK MEPs voted for and against the data retention directive in the EU parliament last Wednesday.

I had written to Emma Nicholson (Lib Dem) and Caroline Lucas (Green), two of my MEPs in the South East, in advance of the vote, expressing concerns about the proposal. Neither Baroness Nicholson nor Dr Lucas were present for the vote, though I did receive a response from two of Dr Lucas's office colleagues (one in Brussels, one in the UK) thanking me for my note and agreeing with my concerns. Dr Lucas was unable to attend for the vote due to attending the WTO talks in Hong Kong as part of the official delegation from the European Parliament. I have not yet heard from the Baroness or any of her colleagues.

No comments: