Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Kite marks for censorware

Becky Hogge via the ORG list tells us that the new Home Secretary has been talking about software filters to protect children.

"Brian Iddon (Bolton South East, Labour) Link to this | Hansard source

May I draw my right hon. Friend's attention to a substantial piece of work that Zentek Forensics in my constituency carried out? It showed that it is ever so easy to google one's way around the firewalls that prevent children from accessing some very undesirable material. That is happening in schools, libraries and children's bedrooms in the evenings at home. Will my right hon. Friend look at the providers of commercial filters and try to get them to strengthen their firewalls?

Jacqui Smith (Home Secretary) Link to this | Hansard source

I am happy to look at anything we can do to protect children from some of the dangers of the internet. I recognise, of course, that the internet plays an important role in the lives of children and young people—at their schools, in their social lives and in their ability to research. However, it is clearly unacceptable if we cannot put the technical safeguards in place. We have been considering how we can, for example, kitemark some of the products that are involved in filtering and monitoring software. Perhaps, as part of that activity, the company to which my hon. Friend referred could make some progress. However, we take the issue extremely seriously."

Regular readers of B2fxxx will be aware of my views on lousy commercial filter software and kitemarking any or all of it will not improve my perspective on the subject.

No comments: